Skip to main content

Renew Passport

UNM's Passport center is happy to assist with your passport renewal and photos, however you will still need to mail your application to the National Passport Processing Center for processing. For more information click HERE

Certain U.S. passport applicants may be eligible to renew their passport by mail with form DS-82.

Applicants who do not meet the eligibility to submit form DS-82 are required to submit form DS-11 in person.


Yes, if:

  • You can submit your most recent U.S. passport book and/or passport card with the application.
  • You were at least 16 years of age when your most recent passport book and/or card was issued.
  • Your most recent passport book and/or card was issued less than 15 years ago.
  • You use the same name as on your previous passport, or you have had your name changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to show your name change.
  • Renewal applications for children under 16 requires submission of the most recent U.S. Passport as well as an original or certified copy of the applicant’s birth certificate.

If you answered yes to all of these questions, fill out this form DS-82


Yes, if:

  • You were under the age of 16 when your most recent passport was issued.
  • The most recent passport was lost, stolen or damaged.
  • Your most recent passport expired more than 5 years ago.
  • You are using a different name than what is listed on your most recent passport and you do not have proper documentation to reflect your name change.

If you answered yes to any of these, we look forward to seeing you at your UNM Bookstore